Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pumpkin waffles

We have had pumpkin pancakes and they were pretty good but I'd like to try these pumpkin waffles.


2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
4 large eggs, separated
2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
 
Preheat waffle iron. Sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices. Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl with buttermilk, pumpkin, and butter until smooth. Whisk in dry ingredients just until combined.
In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks . Folk them gently into the waffle batter, until just combined. Brush waffle iron lightly with oil and spoon about one cup of batter into waffle iron, spreading quickly. Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Transfer waffles to rack in oven to keep warm and crisp. Make more waffles in same manner**.


**I freeze any excess waffles and warm in microwave on those mornings I don't feel like making breakfast

1 comment:

  1. Let me just say without fail this recipe is enough to feed an army. My fault for not realizing it though. It made 11 full sized waffles. Bob and I each had one and I froze the other nine. I think they had a little too much liquid ingredients in them and may cut down on the pumpkin and/or the buttermilk if I make them again. The pumpkin in them makes them pretty filling and I over indulged by eating a whole waffle when a half of a waffle would have sufficed

    ReplyDelete